January 21 – The first commercial Concorde flight takes off.
· The first LAGEOS (Laser Geodynamics Satellite) is launched.
- The United States Treasury Department reintroduces the two-dollar bill as a Federal Reserve Note on Thomas Jefferson's 233rd birthday as part of the United States Bicentennial celebration.
- June 4 – The Boston Celtics defeat the Phoenix Suns 128-126 in triple overtime in Game 5 of the NBA Finals at the Boston Garden. In 1997, the game is selected by a panel of experts as the greatest of the NBA's first 50 years.
- G-6 is renamed “Group of 7” (G-7).
- July 3 – Gregg v. Georgia: The Supreme Court of the United States rules that the death penalty is not inherently cruel or unusual and is a constitutionally acceptable form of punishment.
- July 20 – Viking program: The Viking 1 lander successfully lands on Mars.
- July 29 – In New York City, the "Son of Sam" pulls a gun from a paper bag, killing 1 and seriously wounding another, in the first of a series of attacks that terrorize the city for the next year.
· The Seattle Seahawks play their first football game.
category 3 hurricane emmy hits its peak force entering the Caribbean.
august 27- born
- September 16
- Cubana Flight 455 crashes due to a bomb placed by anti-Fidel Castro terrorists, after taking off from Bridgetown, Barbados; all 73 people on board are killed.
- Students gathering at Thammasat University in Bangkok, Thailand are massacred, while protesting the return of ex-dictatorThanom Kittikachorn by a coalition of right-wing paramilitary and government forces, triggering the return of the military to government.
- October 21 – The Cincinnati Reds sweep the New York Yankees in 4 games to win the 1976 World Series.
- November 2 – U.S. presidential election, 1976: Jimmy Carter defeats incumbent Gerald Ford, becoming the first candidate from the Deep South to win since the Civil War.
- November 15 – The first megamouth shark is discovered off Oahu in Hawaii.
- November 24 – At least 3,840 are killed in a Richter scale magnitude 7.3 earthquake of Van and Muradiye in Turkey.
- Angola joins the United Nations.
- December 6 - The Viet Cong is disbanded, and its former members become a part of the Vietnam People's Army.